The organization was founded in 2013 after a challenging process of formation. Our founding officers and members strove to connect and bring together UP Alumni and general members who share its vision of promoting Philippine culture and heritage; supporting education and skills training; and fostering a welcoming community for UP Alumni and all Filipinos alike in Edmonton and area.
Years passed and we have reached out to over a hundred UP Alumni in our city and made lasting relations with government offices, other organizations, and notable individuals in our events and projects launched. Most notable of these projects are a fundraising for Haiyan victims in 2013, sponsoring and spearheading the Family Zone of the annual Edmonton Filipino Fiesta, our HISTORYA Culture Days event, our UPAAE – PLACE (Professional, Leadership, and Continuing Education) grant launched in 2018, and our PACO series Bahay Kubo Project.
VISION 2018 – 2020
A well-organized group representing UP’s virtues, Honor and Excellence, with a strong, well-engaged, and satisfied membership supportive of a visible and active leadership in the Filipino community in Edmonton and Canada.
2018-2019 EVENTS AND PROGRAMS
- The UPAAE – PLACE (Scholarship and Grants Program): Four recipient individuals and groups who are based in the Philippines were awarded the grant in 2018, from completion of graduate studies, to library reconstruction, to environmental awareness campaigns. We are also looking to direct the program towards Edmonton-based recipients (i.e. new Filipino immigrants).
- PACO – Philippine Arts and Culture Orientation Program: for kids 6-14 years old, allowing kids to learn about Indigenous groups in the Philippines while having fun making dioramas. This is an ongoing monthly activity.
- Fiesta Family Zone of the Annual Edmonton Filipino Fiesta: We have been the primary mover of activities for families and kids since it started in 2016. We have Arts and Crafts for kids, Facepainting, our very own Aling Iska Sari-Sari Store, Pinoy-themed photo booths, Higantes and Carabao paper mache projects.
- Philippine Heritage Month campaign, together with other Pinoy organizations, successfully pushing for a proclamation of the month of June as Philippine Heritage Month in the City of Edmonton and the province of Alberta, in perpetuity.
- Tatak UPAAE: celebrating our successes as individuals and as a group
- HISTORYA: Walking Through the Story of the Filipino People: UPAAE was one of the recipients of the Alberta Culture Days grant, hosting an event promoting Philippine Culture and Heritage through various activities – Interactive Map, History Exhibit, Flora and Fauna presentation, Storytelling, Baybayin Calligraphy, and many others.
- Special Interest programs for members: running club, painting workshops, bangus de-boning activity, etc.
- Annual Social events: Simbang Gabi, Summer Picnic and Christmas Party
- Community Support: we support fellow Filipino organizations’ events such as fundraisers, musical play and movie showing, among others.